Surgery and Other Things

22 Nov

Well, it looks like I’ll be going in to surgery at 8:30am this Wednesday morning to remove my gallbladder. I have to be there at 6:30am and will hopefully be released sometime on Thursday.
I had my surgical consult with the general surgeon this afternoon, and he said if I were his daughter he would have her take it out. So, I am trusting his expertise.
He explained that the best case scenario would be to wait until after the baby is born to have the gallbladder removed. BUT – The way he described it was that I am literally down to days before my uterus is too large to do the surgery laparoscopically, and as long as we can do it laparascopically the risks of surgery are very very low. The risks of an emergency surgery are much more serious, and there’s no way to tell if I’ll have an emergency, and no reliable way to prevent one with the amount/size of stones I have.
Should I continue to have attacks and decide it needs to come out later – the risks are much higher and it would no longer be a laparoscopic surgery, but a traditional ‘open’ surgery.  Even worse case scenario would be to have an emergency where I couldn’t get to the hospital on time.
Being that my side of the family is occupied with trying to help my mom through her spinal/brain surgery and Karl’s side of the family has recently lost his grandma, they’re taking time off already this season for that. Plus, Karl works nights with our only car, when the attacks usually happen, so there is a good chance that I’d have to suffer through any future attacks at home by myself with the children, or scurrying to try and find emergency care for the kids and someone to drive me to the hospital. I’m not liking the sounds of that. But, Karl’s mom and Karl both have time off this week for Thanksgiving and the Doctor wanted to do ASAP anyhow – so I’m feeling like it’s the right decision to go ahead and have it out this week.

I am praying that the baby and I will do well under General Anesthesia and that there is enough room for them to do the surgery laparoscopically with out inducing labor.
If that’s the case, I should be able to go home sometime on Thursday with pain medication. If all goes as planned I should be back to normal with in 3-5 days.

In other news:

The last that I heard, my mom’s surgery went well and she’s recovering in the ICU. So, I’m thankful for that.

We’ve been trying to potty train Evelyn with out much success. She peed in the potty 1 time out of four tries, and wouldn’t even sit on it most of the times we asked.
But, Olive decided that she wanted to go on the potty, and peed and pooped the first try! She has been put on the potty many times since and peed every time except one! I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t anticipate that she’d be able to control her elimination like that until she was along the lines of 8 or 10 years old. But, she surprised us all and we’re really glad that she’s able to do it.

Olive has also been making some progress in the hand mouthing area. Her teacher sent home a sensory brush to brush her hands with and we’ve been doing that often. Since we started brushing her hands frequently, she has had her hands in her mouth significantly less. She still does it if we don’t brush her hands regularly, or if she’s stressed, or tired, or bored (which is more often than I’d like) – but some progress is better than no progress!

I’m slowly unburying myself out of the mountain of photography work that I still need to do. And I’m hoping that I can get it all done soon. I don’t have anything lined up for a couple weeks, and I’m looking forward to the break in between.

Karl was really hoping to hear something today about the job that he applied for, and he hasn’t. I know that it has him stressed out and he’ll be really bummed if he never gets that call-back. I’m praying that he’s cut a break and he’s still in the running. If we’re going to hear anything, it’ll be by the end of the short work week. We have our fingers crossed.

Although I haven’t been able to take advantage of any of it yet, I have had a few friends offer to help us our during this stressful time. And it feels so good! If I’m being honest, I’ve always felt a little jealous of people who have the relief of regular babysitters and family and friends to help ‘take the load off’. Karl and I have really struggled through this season post-bringing-Olive-home, trying to do it all ourselves.  We haven’t gotten out for a date in months, and any down time we do get is spoiled by the heavy weight of all the things begging to be done. I’ve had a lot of anxiety about how we’re going to manage the first couple weeks home after we have Jobee – but after a few offers from friends and not-so-close friends (that weren’t expected), I’m starting to feel like maybe with the help of others, we can do it. I’m just to thankful to God for impressing on people to help us out, and even if none of it pulls through – it feels better to know that there are people out there thinking about us.
I can’t say it doesn’t feel awkward to say ‘yes’ to help though. I don’t know that I even know how to do it. I don’t know what’s appropriate – when to ask, what to do once you’ve accepted help, how to go about it. Those who have said ‘yes’ to help before – how do you do it!?




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: